Friday, September 17, 2010

Izzy: The Story



Thursday was a weird day. As I carved away on my slab 'o wood for printmaking, I was distracted. I was eagerly awaiting a call from Hallie and her report from the dr. Not only am I embarrassed at my first attempt at a woodcut this semester, but I was also very unfocused due to the fact that Hallie was six days past her due date. Finally I got a call. More or less, we were hoping that she would go into labor Thursday night and if she didn't, we'd have to look into ways to move things along as quick as we could to ensure the health of both baby and mom.



Thankfully, a few hours later, I got a call (yes, I'm still at school at this point-Thursdays are 13-hour days) and the contractions–though light–had begun. Phew...they were very inconsistent, but they were happening nonetheless.


After finally returning home from class around 8:30, Hallie and I watched some Magnum, p.i. and made it to bed by 10:30ish. Meanwhile, her contractions were slightly more consistent, but not much. So we waited.



At about 1:15-1:30 a.m, Hallie woke me up and gave me the green light to call her mom, have her come watch Cambria and have us make our journey to the hospital. All of which we did. By the time we arrived, around 1:50-2 a.m, the contractions were pretty close together and getting stronger. And by the time the nurse checked Hallie, she was already past a "7." Things were moving fast to say the least.


Hallie was brave and stronger than she's ever been. I could brag about her for years and never tire of it. She is so amazing. No epidural and not so much as a Tylenol; 100 percent natural and she did great every step of the way.


Having only pushed about 7-10 times in all, Izzy Mae Wilkins let out her first cry and greeted us with perfect health.


It's funny, but all I can do is compare her to Cambria. She's got Cambria's nose, her face and frame is thinner than Cambria's was and she weighs just less (7 lbs. compared to 7 lbs. 9 oz) and is taller at 21 inches (Cambria was 19).  Her hair is red. It's crazy. And she's balding like her old man. Who knows, maybe it will all fall out and come back a different color?


Not too long after having moved up to our room, we were taking a quick walk down the hall and who do we see walking toward us? Liza and Jackson. Hallie and Eliza grew up together and by happenstance became pregnant at the same time, though their due dates were over a week apart. Well, now our daughters are only hours apart in age. It was awesome to see good friends and know we're experiencing life's greatest joy at the same time, only nine doors away from each other!


Well folks. That's it. That's the story. Check back later for more chronicles of the Wilkins Fab Four.

seconds after delivery
getting to know one another face-to-face
I love it when they're little and sleep all the time-is that bad?
Cambria was excited to finally meet "sister."
best friends. cutest baby girls.
the girls. oh, and Cambria's baby that "sister," brought for her.

19 comments:

Mandy said...

Yay for Hallie!! She has always been one tough chick! Izzy is adorable, can't wait to meet her. How cool that Eliza & Hallie both have little girls born a couple hours apart! Wish I was there to come see both of you and your new additions! Congrats!!!

Christina said...

I don't think I have ever seen a baby with red hair- so cute!!! We are so happy for you guys!!! Congrats!

Rachel and Jason said...

SO cool. Makes me want a baby real bad. Congrats again! You guys deserve the best, and it looks like you've got it.

Carlie Pennington said...

Congratulations! She's absolutely beautiful!

Christine said...

Congratulations!!!! Good job, Hallie, on going all natural! That's sooooo dang awesome and funny that you and Liza had your babies on the same day! I just love you guys! Congratulations again!

Starr said...

Hallie you are beautiful and so is your baby! Congratulations to all three of you on the new member of your family.

Brooke :) said...

congrats! what a champ! I am a total pansy and had an epidural with both of my kids. she is beautiful! :)

Coach Kennington said...

congrats! She's a cutie, I like the name!! Hope all is well.

Amanda said...

So glad Izzy is healthy and that both Hallie and baby are doing well. Congratulations!

Bessie said...

That's so crazy that both you and liza had your babies so close. Glad to hear everything went well and that Hallie made it through with no epidural, props to you girl! Way to go! Izzy is a doll as is Cambria. SO excited for you both!

Forsberg's said...

Congrats!! Did you do hypno-birth Hallie? I'm glad it went so well. I don't care what some people say, I think labor and birthing is one of my favorite life experiences! She's adorable and I'm excited for you to find the balance and joy of 2!

Jesse C said...

Nice work Hallie! She is cute.

Erin said...

Cute family!!! And I must say that Hallie rocks. No epidural or pain meds and she still comes along looking like a rockstar after having a baby. We wish we could see you guys in person, but we're glad that we can at least catch up on the haps through your always interesting blog life. If you're ever in DC, you know who to call....

All the best,

Erin and Jordan

Jessica said...

Congrats you guys!

Austin said...

congrats guys, I am glad both mom and baby are doing well. (And Dad)

ali said...

Congratulations! Welcome, Baby Izzy. You are in good hands.

Parker and Vanessa said...

That's a great story! Congratulations.

Anonymous said...

Yea!!! We are so happy for you!!!

Anonymous said...

those are sexy little panties Cambria, would you let me take you to bed, get them off and show you a good time?