Friday, December 17, 2010

This Year, Misc. Thoughts.

With the year coming to a close soon, I've been contemplating all that has taken place in 2010. It's been, well, another epic year. So much has happened big and small that it is astounding to me when I sit and try to absorb it all.

We welcomed Izzy to the Wilkins crew this year. She's been such a great little lady. She's almost always happy, she loves to smile and she's good at sleeping-all great traits for a young one! It's funny, Cambria wasn't a big fan of being cuddly as a baby, but Izzy LOVES to be held and cuddled, almost too much. It's funny to see how different the two have been right from the start. It was a rough start learning how to have two kids to keep track of and we're definitely still getting the hang of it, but things have gotten better. Most of the time Cambria is a good helper and she loves her little sister, but sometimes she doesn't understand why Izzy won't play and do things with her. Early on, Cambria tried to teach Izzy how to dance and how to eat Goldfish crackers (that was scary). I feel blessed to have two healthy, beautiful little girls and hope that I can be a good father to them.

Cambria turned two this year and has become quite the talker. She is almost never quiet. She's got to voice her opinion about everything and I mean everything! It's been so much fun to see her express herself through her words and be able to communicate with her that way. It's hard to believe that there was ever a time she didn't ramble away. She has more energy than most pro atheletes. I don't know how she does it. She astounds me. And she loves music and loves to dance. It's the best.

Hallie and I celebrated six years of marriage this year as well. Wow, six years. I can't imagine my life without her. She's such an inspiration to me in more ways than I can count. Her support of me and my goals in life is unreal and I hope someday I can repay her all the support, love and understanding she has given to me.


This year marked more college courses, inching my way toward a degree in fine art, with a graphic design emphasis. I have loved my schooling. At the close of each semester I feel a sadness that I am one semester closer to not having more courses that I can take and continue to learn. I have found a true thirst for knowledge. My perspective since graduating with my first degree has completely changed and I feel like a new person. I don't feel like I wasted time the first go-around, but having started a family, bought a home and lived "life," I see things differently that I did when I was a bachelor and newly married and am thankful for that perspective. I've found a love not only for design, but printmaking. Printmaking is a beautiful art and has taught me much about design principles, while allowing me limitless options to express myself through different mediums within the printmaking realm. I am specifially fond of woodcuts, or relief printmaking. There is something about carving the wood and inking it up that is indescribable. I love it.

Another life-changing experience that I was blessed with this year was the opportunity I had to be able to journey to Switzerland for a month on a study abroad trip with design and business students. I am so thankful that Hallie was supportive and believed in the good that could come of this trip. It was an experience that I chalk up right next to my mission in importance. I have a hard time expressing in words all that I learned about design, about business, about people and culture, about history, the list is endless. Living and studying in another country for even a month was invaluble to my education, my character and life persepective. The people I met, the things I saw and learned, I will look back fondly upon forever. It's strange though, I look at photographs from the trip and it feels like a dream, like it's not possible I ever stepped onto Swiss soil.

I love this time of year, because no matter what the trials were that came through the year, I always feel like "Hey, who cares? We made it!" Everything insignificant seems to fall by the wayside and I am able to see clearly how blessed I am. I'm always humbled to see the giving spirit of Christ in people this time of year. It joys my heart and gives me hope in humanity. I hope that wherever you are this Christmas season, whatever is happening in your life, whoever you are with, that you can feel the love of Christ in your hearts as you reflect on your year and feel hope and excitement for the year to come!

Thanks for reading.

8 comments:

Jesse C said...

Great thoughts man. It has been an epic year for you guys. It has been fun to vicariously go back to school with you. I really miss it.

Jeremy said...

Thanks man. And thanks for being a strong commenter, we're starting to wonder if anyone even looks at this thing anymore!

Anonymous said...

Great post! Glad we all survived another year :)

Erin said...

We love your posts! Merry Christmas!

Brady said...

An epic post from an epic guy. Hope 2011 will be just as great!

Darrington's said...

Sounds like a pretty good year. It was wonderful seeing you all tonight, happy holidays!!

Nicole Moultrie said...

I truely enjoy reading your thoughts. You have quite a skill. I'm so glad you are all healthy and happy. I completely agree with the,"hey we made it" comment.Also, i agree with the amazing-ness of Hallie. She is one special lady isn't she? Tell your girls Merry Christmas from me:)

evetsandassilem said...

Jeremy, I'm glad that I've had the chance to have classes with you. It's been so fun getting to know you and pushing through all the website stuff. You are great! Your girls are adorable, I am excited to have you in advanced print. You will LOVE it!