Cracked open this CD for a first listen on Saturday (I bought it for Hallie's birthday) and, well...it was good.
There are a few things holding me back from saying it was a "Great," release even though I do really like it.
For one thing, there's nothing too different from the musical direction where Mr. Oberst has been heading his last couple of albums (excluding Digital Ash in a Digital Urn-part of a simultaneous double release ). And that-in a way-is also the other thing that holds me back, is that this release is under "Conor Oberst and the Mystic Valley Band," and not just Bright Eyes. What is the point of a new band/band name for something that is so much along the same lines as other material from the same Artist?
All in all, a wonderful and fun (listen to I Don't Want To Die [In A Hospital]) with enough rock/indie-rock, alt-country and balladry to soothe the soul.
I'd love to hear thoughts from anyone else who has heard it...do tell!
**You can listen to the album in its entirety here!**
Monday, September 8, 2008
Conor Oberst and the Mystic Valley Band
Labels:
Music,
Thoughts/Thinking
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I'm usually pretty good at picking up his newest releases, but I have yet to listen to this one.
I'm motivated now to do so!
I really want to hear it.
i like pretty much everything that Conor has touched but i have yet to listen to cassadaga for a second time. it annoyed me bad. it sounded like a musical with an orchestra on most tracks. it was just to much. so compared to cassadaga i liked this cd. it has the simple feel of his early stuff with more of a melodic standard verse/chorus/verse but at the same time it is a little rough and chaotic at times. plus you get to actually get to hear guitars again and acoustic honkytonky ones at that.
Post a Comment