Thursday, February 26, 2009

JEREMY'S ALL-TIME TOP 50 PART I

Last week I read Jesse's post about his top 25 albums and I loved it. It made me think about some essentials for me early on and throughout my life and inspired me to create my own "Top," list, only I found it impossible to narrow it to only 25...so I ended up with a whopping 50 and still felt like I left out some important releases. Below is the first half of the list. I'll spare you and make a PART II, because all 50 at once might make your mind explode.

Leave some comments and make your own list!

*On a side note, this list is in no particular order of favorites whatsoever*

1. Billy Joel-Glass Houses
Mr. Joel sparked my initial love and understanding for music, as it was a household staple for me growing up. This album was my "intro," to rock and roll.
2. Thursday-Full Collapse
My buddy Brad introduced Thursday to me after my mission. This album was one of the first things that helped me start to diversify from my rich punk rock background. It was like nothing I'd ever heard: strong heartfelt emotion and fist-pounding aggression intermixed.
3. Sick Of It All-Built To Last
I resisted listening to hardcore music until I heard this album. I was impressed by the fact that such intense music could have such positive lyrics and high moral standards.
4. Saves The Day-Through Being Cool
I took this album from a roommate's computer my first semester in college and couldn't stop listening to it. Another record and style of music close enough to punk that it felt familiar, but different enough that it helped me explore other sounds.
5. AFI-Shut Your Mouth and Open Your Eyes
Davey Havok's commanding screams on this record blew me away it was punk, but not at the same time. I knew these guys were different than any other punk/hardcore band when I heard this album.
6. Billy Joel-An Innocent Man
Another Piano Man classic.
7. Weezer-Pinkerton
After understanding the full complexity of this record, I could scarcely put it away. Weezer's best album on all accounts, hands down.
8. Mason Jennings-Mason Jennings
My introduction (thanks Dave) to folk/folk rock music. In my opinion, one of the most talented musicians of today.
9. Against Me!-As The Eternal Cowboy
I burned a copy of this record and shame on me, didn't listed to it for over a year after getting it. Once I heard Against Me! and their unique style of punk rock I wished I hadn't wasted so much time twiddling my thumbs.
10. The Anniversary-Designing A Nervous Breakdown/Your Majesty
I saw The Anniversary a few months before my mission and was blown away. Designing a Nervous Breakdown's youthful energy inspired me and Your Majesty gave me even more respect for an already great band because it was the farthest thing from what anyone could have predicted as a followup to Breakdown-and it was amazing.
11. Bad Religion-The Gray Race
If my memory serves me correctly, this is the first punk rock album that I ever bought (myself that is, I had other punk I gotten from friends previous to this) and it was a fantastic choice. Greg Graffin's raspy voice and impressive intellect made me realize that punk didn't have to be all about guitars and offending people. It could be about life situations and moving toward a brighter future through recognizing problems and wanting to help people to change.
12. Rancid-And Out Come The Wolves
Another one of my first punk rock records. My first Rancid impression was from their prior album, Let's Go, but this record was definitive in making me a punk rock fiend.
13. Badly Drawn Boy-About A Boy Soundtrack
A perfect soundtrack for an awesome movie. I found this my junior year of college and couldn't believe how much I loved it right off.
14. Billy Idol-Billy Idol
My obsession with Billy Idol began my senior year of high school. This album is Billy at his best: punk and 80's rock intertwined. Nothing better. I promise.
15. Brand New-The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me
A very mature-themed album. I was so stoked on this the day I bought it that I listened to it and nothing else for the whole day. About mid-day, I started to feel really depressed and didn't know why, then I realized it all had to do with my newly purchased record. Not a happy listen, but a very well-written and miserably-beautiful record.
16. Bright Eyes-I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning
I would say the this album prepped me to be inclined to give country music a chance. It's folk leanings and light twangy guitars made me curious to explore more folk and even some country.
17. Coheed & Cambria-In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3
You either love these guys or you hate 'em and yes, they sound like a modern-day RUSH, but whatever. Once I understood their sound, I couldn't get enough. Hallie and I both went through a Coheed phase where they were the only music we listened to for over a month. Epic music. Plus, they gave us the name for our little lovely daughter-thanks guys.
18. Death Cab For Cutie-We Have The Facts and We're Voting Yes
A band that EVERYONE loved when I was fresh off my mission that until I heard some tracks off of this album, I didn't appreciate. This and The Photo Album have hold the highest honors in their discography as far as I'm concerned.
19. Dustin Kensrue-Please Come Home
The singer from Thrice's solo album. A pleasant change of pace from his other work. A folk masterpiece.
20. The Decemberists-The Crane Wife
A very eloquent album and very, very catchy throughout.
21. Elliot Smith-Either/Or
My favorite Elliot Smith record. Makes me think of the "Crap House," school year. No one knew pain like Elliot Smith-or at least no one knew how to describe it better.
22. The Format-Interventions and Lullabies
I remember when I first started to hang out with Hallie, her and Liza were super-stoked on these guys and had seen them at the rollerskating rink in Logan. I couldn't stand them. Then Hallie when out of town and I started listening to them because I missed Hallie so much and in some weird way it made me feel closer to her and by the time Hallie returned I couldn't stop listening to them.
23. From Autumn To Ashes-Too Bad You're Beautiful
Very intense music. The heavy breakdowns, lyrics and singing didn't leave my car CD player for over a month when I first got this album.
24. The Gaslight Anthem-The '59 Sound
One of my favorite records of all of last year. Punk without being too punk. Rock 'n' Roll without being too rock 'n' roll. I think it is what Bruce Springsteen would sound like if he had made punk rock music.
25. Generation X-Perfect Hits 1975-1981
Billy Idol's first band in England, helped him start his solo career. A more punk rock side of Billy than many people have heard.

6 comments:

KATIE HOFHEINS said...

Radiohead should be in there somewhere...and Thursday.....??

Anonymous said...

Man looks like Katie is pushing her views on people.

Awesome list Jeremy. There are some surprises but I love your explanations. And theres a lot of stuff that I'll be checking out today. Thanks.

Join Facebook and you can see my list. Or I can just leave it in a comment if you'd like.

Jesse C said...

Great list. I guess Katie missed #2.

I'm glad you like And out come the Wolves that much, because most huge Rancid fans I talk to try to talk up other albums over that one. For me, it is their best, hands down.

Glass Houses is awesome. Kind of a retro-rock album in it's own right - the concept just isn't quite as strong from start to finish as Innocent Man.

Hallie said...

Katie-you haven't seen PART II of the list yet, so don't fret...

Brad-I hope you like some of the stuff you check out. Making this list made me want to re-emerge myself into some of these Artists again.
I'd love to see your list, but I'm not about to join F-Book. You could post it on your blog or leave it in a comment here, whatever works best for you.

Jesse-Yeah, I LOVED Rancid's first two records, but And Out Come The Wolves was everything that made those records great, but with better choruses and sing-a-longs.
And dito on the Billy Joel sentiments. That is why Innocent man is my favorite Billy Joel album. Man, he was way ahead of his time.

Anonymous said...

Ok Jeremy, heres my top 25 in no particular order. I might change a couple but whatever its pretty accurate.

1. Beastie Boys - Pauls Boutique
2. The Get Up Kids - Four Minute Mile
3. Suicidal Tendencies - Suicidal Tendencies
4. Modest Mouse - Lonesome Crowded West
5. Wu Tang - Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)
6. Offspring - Smash
7. Dr. Dre - The Chronic
8. Rilo Kiley - Execution of All Things
9. Sun Kil Moon - Tiny Cities
10. Biggie - Ready To Die
11. Guns and Roses - Appetite for Destruction
12. The Pharcyde - Bizarre Ride II: The Pharcyde
13. Metallica - And Justice For All
14. The Promise Ring - Very Emergency
15. Weezer - Pinkerton
16. Strung Out - Suburban Teenage Wasteland Blues
17. Beastie Boys - License To Ill
18. Tribe - Low End Theory
19. James Brown - 20 All Time Greatest Hits
20. Madvillain - Madvillainy
21. DJ Z-Trip & DJ P - Uneasy Listening
22. Helmet - Meantime
23. Mates of State - Our Constant Concern
24. Snoop - Doggystyle

P.S. I'm diggin the Gas Light Anthem

Jeremy said...

Yo B-Rad-

Sweet list! And I just noticed my comment showed up as "Hallie," but I'm sure you figured out it was me though...

Making a list is hard though, huh? Looking at yours makes me realize how many I didn't have room for-even with 50. But I had to stick to my guns unless I wanted a top 100 list.

I'm glad you are diggin' The Gaslight Anthem, I've got both their records if you want to check 'em out. The '59 Sound is ridiculously good...