Friday, May 29, 2009

When Hoping Pays Off...


Though I toyed around with the idea of going to a midnight showing of DRAG ME TO HELL, I wasn't serious about it until after getting off work yesterday and boy am I glad I didn't wait to see this gem of a movie!


Tyler, aka Westbot, and I ended up going together for this midnight mayhem and loved every second of it. Before I talk about the movie though, let me say that Tyler is a champion. He drove from Bountiful to go see the 12:05 a.m. showing with me (the movie is a few minutes short of two hours) and had to be at work at 6 a.m. this morning. What a champ. That's some real dedication to a friend and a decision that shows some awesome integrity. Anyways, on to the movie...

I had hoped that Sam Rami would pull through and stay true to his indie-horror roots, though he has become a big shot Hollywood director due to the success of the Spider Man movies, and that hope was MORE than realized.

From the eerie opening credits to the un-Hollywood ending of the film we were captivated. My feet were sweating in my flip flops in anticipation for each new scene and possibility of fright. It was simple and natural when our screams of terror turned to laughing, sometimes in an instant and in a good way. Most horror movies are straight horror and are brutally graphic and disturbing and take themselves way too seriously, but not Mr. Rami's. He knows just how to freak you out, gross you out and make you laugh all at the same time. 

DRAG ME TO HELL had everything I was hoping for: horror, ridiculous horror action/unbelievable blood and guts, undead terrorizing the living, humor and of course, totally sweet one-liners that couldn't have been said better by Bruce Campbell himself. It was more fun to watch then half the rides at Disneyland-and believe me, I love Disneyland. The first thing I said to Tyler when it ended was, "This is the first thing going on my Christmas list!"

The only bad thing about the movie? I don't think the general movie-going public will appreciate how well-done and true-to-form this movie was to Rami's character and style and that is very sad. Some will probably go into it and expect a disturbing horror movie and call the movie junk when they realize that this is nothing like the average horror flick, which generally speaking, tries so hard to make you scream, but instead ends up making you laugh from stupidity. But who knows, maybe this movie will indoctrinate the average Joe's to what some have appreciated in Rami's earlier Evil Dead trilogy for years. 

2 comments:

Jesse C said...

So glad to see you weren't let down despite your lofty expectations.

ali said...

Curtis is dying to see this. He's looking for a date because Oscar and I aren't into it at the moment.

If only we had a babysitter....