Friday, December 7, 2007

Happy Birthday Jesse! ...a brief history of a friend.


So on this great day some years ago, one of my best friends had a birthday, his first to be exact.

I met Jesse in high school, I can't remember if he was a sophomore or a junior, but that's not important. I had known his older brother, James, but only heard stories about Jesse-stories of James kidnapping him from various places, tying him up and leaving him places, etc-you know, loving, brotherly stuff. The first time I remember actually meeting the kid I had only heard stories about was when he was starting to hang out with a girl I had dated and me being the jealous type (I know, you'd never believe that, right?), I automatically didn't like him for it. Not too long after a bunch of us went to the Smith's cabin and I came home from that trip with a good friend. Maybe part of it is because I found out that he too was a huge Billy Joel fan...


Through the remainder of high school Jesse became an integral part of our group of friends and was known as Bad Dawg (a whole different story involved there). There were some good times had, too many to mention, though it should be known that the camping trips, spring breaks, old school skating, pranks and everyday hang outs were more epic than most people dream of. High school ended and most went on missions. Out of all my friends who served missions, Jesse kept in closest contact while we were both out-well, him and Brady were probably about the same. His letters and tapes always made me laugh and I knew he was keeping it real.

Straight off his mission, Jesse, James, Ryan and Lindsey and I hit the streets to sell Living Scriptures DVDS. That was a pretty rough summer, though it was tough to the point it was ridiculous and funny. Between the heat, the sales coming in spurts, Jesse getting his car broken into, later it having it stolen and when everything seemed to be going well, his car would break down and I would get a call to come find him. I could post for days and days about that summer...

After what seemed like a decade, the summer ended and we all went back to school. That year Jesse and I lived in the same house together. Though I only actually lived with Jesse for one school year, it was easily the most fun year of my life. That year I think we all grew up a lot, but that doesn't mean we went to bed before 3 or 4 a.m. very often. Through the college years (does that sound like Saved By the Bell?) I watched Jesse turn into a serious artist and musician, which he has molded into a career now as a graphic designer for a concert promoter here in SLC.

College came, college went. The years have come and gone. But after 10-11 years, Jesse is still a huge part of my life. He is an example of a true friend and a good, sincere person. People say friends come and go, but I know that in another 10 years I'll still be calling Jesse on a Friday night to see what's going on.

**as a side note, Jesse reminded me last week that before I really knew him (I think right before the cabin trip) I signed his yearbook one year. In it I wrote something to the effect of: "Stay cool and don't take no shit from anybody." Why he even spoke to me after writing something so stupid is anyone's guess**

14 comments:

Jesse C said...

Wow, Jeremy, thanks for the tribute. It really means a lot, you have been a fantastic friend for a long long time. Has it really been a decade? Do you remember driving to every single girls volleyball game? Oh to have that much time on my hands again.

I guess it was always in your blood to be a superfan. Seriously you'be been at pretty much every soccer game and concert of mine for the better part of 10 years. It's crazy.

I do have to say the year at the crap house was epic. We were so awesomely cheap and ghetto. I lived in a wood paneled walk in closet for hells sake. How many meals a week were ramen noodles, frozen burritos, or breakfast burritos? A lot. It was a time where going to Beto's was a splurge, and two dollar tuesdays rollerskating at the fun park dipped heavily into the "entertainment budget."

There was always Dave's burning inferno of a room complete with the main heat line and space heaters to keep things nice and tropical. Every morsel of heat in that house was contained in his room which was also the best looking and biggest room. I still think one day he will admit that he rigged the room draw.

I could go on and on about that year as well. It was so fun. Well, Jeremy thanks again for your friendship and support throughout the years. You helped give me the confidence to try new things and put myself out there creatively. Here's to decades more of friendship.

Lacey Jane said...

What a nice tribute, Jeremy! And, Happy Birthday, Jesse!

Dede said...

Awe...so sweet! Happy Birthday Jesse!!!

Hallie said...

Jesse is a pretty rad dude! But wow I think I might need to talk to Jeremy about how he feels abou this "good friend".

Anonymous said...

Happy B-Day Jesse.

Hey Jesse heres memory:

LAUREN!

I sometimes think back about that living situation and can't believe that it actually happened.

Amazing.

Thekrogwoman said...

What a fabulous tribute to a good friend! Looks like he thinks the same great things about you. That's awsome that you guys have stayed so close! I don't even know if Jesse remembers me, but if he does, a big fat "Happy Birthday to ya!"

James said...

Nice tribute Jeremy.

The crap house was one incredible adventure and I am glad that I shared it with all of you.

Happy bday Jesse. I couldn't ask for a better brother or a better friend.

... said...

A beautiful tribute...to a good friend...a great PAL


and more...

Anonymous said...

I agree with Hallie. Also...well, nevermind. Okay, fine...best year of your life, eh? Hmm.

Jesse C said...

Do I sense some jealousy towards our relationship? Jeremy and I are like J.D. and Turk from Scrubs, "it's guy love."

Jeremy said...

Yeah, Blake, the most fun year of my life. The best year of my bachelor-dom if you will. Priority number 1 was hanging out with friends and cute girls. Plus, at the end of that year, Hallie and I started dating, so the best by a lot of different terms...

And well put Jesse...

Anonymous said...

Would you say that it was the funnest year of your life? Or just the most fun year? I just want to be clear on just how fun it was.

Jeremy said...

Seth...and you are who?

Shelby said...

I know I'm a little late in commenting, but I've been out of town. First off, Jesse, happy birthday. Second, Dave didn't rig the drawing for the rooms because I drew them and I hadn't even seen the house yet! You can blame me. Sorry for putting you in the closet dungeon.