After reading a fantastic post from Lacey about music, I felt somewhat nostalgic and have been inspired to share my sentiments on music and what it has meant in my life-and it has meant a lot!
From a young age, I'd say around 6 or so, I remember starting to grow a fondness for music. My parents always listened to Billy Joel, so of course that meant I did too. There was something about Billy Joel that struck just the right chord in me and started my love for music. I remember hearing other music from my parents, but none of it stuck the way Billy Joel did. I would sit around for hours and listen to Billy Joel records and CDs with the lyric book out and memorize each word of my favorite songs. Through all my musical ventures my respect for Billy Joel, and what he has meant to me and in igniting my love for music, has never faded. See here.
In 7th/8th grade I found punk rock. I was immediately drawn to it because of its brashness and the subculture surrounding its history. The songs were short, furious and straight to the point. It was refreshing because it wasn't commercial yet. It was pure. Bands like Blink 182, Good Charlotte and Fall Out Boy hadn't yet tainted what punk rock is supposed to be. Later punk (not REAL punk, just bands with a punk sound) would become part of popular music-something of a paradox for punk rock-and it would forever damage the reputation of the music. Punk was (and is still, yes there are legit punk bands out there still, they're just harder to come by in the traditional sense) music with a purpose, music with a message, music that was offensive and outside of the mainstream and it demanded to be heard and taken seriously.
Through middle school and high school punk was my mainstay. It introduced me to a world of music not known to the world of commercial rock and shaped who I was as a person-the way I dressed, the way I viewed the world and what other music I could and couldn't like. Eventually I would network out to other genres of music and leave the feeling that I was "selling out my scene," and come to the conclusion that because of those roots, I was a better and more well-versed person and was able to locate other underground music that would have an effect on my life.
By the time college came, my realm of music had greatly expanded. Those who I associated with in school were very in-tune with new and old non-commercial music and I was introduced to many, many wonderful bands that have since led me to countless other amazing bands.
After graduating from college I began a job as a booking agent for many of the punk bands that raised me, you could say. It has been an honor. Funny, I remember girls in high school always making fun of my punk music and hating to listen to it and that same music is now what it paying my bills and providing for my family. Ha! How's that for justice!
There's no doubt music has had more of an impact on my life than anything else outside of family and religion. There's nothing better than hearing a song and having a memory or a feeling of a specific time or event or even an exact moment brought back to you like it just barely happened or the feel like you are at that moment, reliving it again. So many different bands and different songs could be used to represent different parts and moments of my life. I love to have those instances when you hear that song and are brought right back to yesteryear and are able to remember everything about that memory sooo clear. How the weather was that day, how you felt inside, what was happening and who you were with, etc. Music is powerful. Music is wonderful. Music has been a blessing in my life and I always feel sorry for those who don't have strong feelings about music and will never understand these special moments that come from loving music.
Thanks for reading. I know there are music addicts that read this blog. I would love to hear your stories. Please leave a comment, long or short.
Friday, January 25, 2008
A Life Dedicated to Music.
Labels:
Music,
Thoughts/Thinking
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
Exactly! Great post!
Hallie how's it going? What have you been up to?
Amen Jeremy. Music in every aspect of the word. When you're focused on it there's nothing more powerful. whether it's at a show, or in your car, or playing it with friends, or playing in your headphones. It's even great when it reminds you of hard times. I feel sorry for those people too. I really do.
i was hoping to hear band names of your musical influences and taste here. do divulge.
Jeremy,
Summer 2003:
Easy Money - Billy Joel.
Cavanaugh Park - Something Corporate.
Dusty-Good point about the hard times...
Leslie-I'll do my best to list a few bands, but it's hard to narrow it down when what affected me was a culmination of so many bands.
*Billy Joel: gave me a love for music in general.
*Rancid, Bad Religion, Descendents, The Clash, Crass, US Bombs, Generation X, etc were some of the first that opened my eyes to punk rock and a slew of uncountable other punk bands, old and new.
*Sick Of It All, Trial, Hatebreed, 7SECONDS, Youth Of Today, Gorilla Biscuits, etc. brought me into the realm of hardcore and the positive youth crew scene.
*Early Saves the Day, The Promise Ring, Elliott Smith, Death Cab For Cutie, Neutral Milk Hotel, Ben Kweller, Pedro the Lion, etc. brought me to understand early emo and what indie rock were all about and lead to other bands/directions.
I could keep going and going, but I'll leave it at what I have, though I feel it is an only semi-accurate at best listing. But it give the basic realm of things.
James-every time I hear Easy Money I have to try and not laugh.
Cavanaugh Park-That song hit me at such a low point, it nearly brought me to tears. I was lonely, frustrated and depressed. After hearing that band's other material and seeing their following, I realized this band was a one song band for me and this song remains a guilty pleasure to this day.
I laugh at "Easy Money" every time too. I just picture the four of us dancing around in our living room singing along to that classic song. Our regional manager standing in the corner trying not to look worried.
Jeremy, you have introduced me to tons and tons of amazing bands. Thanks for sharing your love of music with me.
I remeber watching MTV with my parents in my early years and having air guitar contests with the baby sitter to Guns and Roses "Paridise City". Def Lepoard and Van Halen will always remind me of cleaning house with my mom. Jimmy Buffet,Patsy Cline, and Marty Robbins always bring me back to hanging with my dad.
I very much disliked Billy Joel, in my musical memories it brings me back to the first year of my parents divorce, "River of Dreams" had just come out and I hated it.
I also have fond memories of Jeremy trying to make sure I was into "good music". He made 2 mixed tapes, and would quiz me about who was on them. He is so passionate about his music. Me on the other had I like what I like and there is really no reason behind it.
First of all, I think you are one of the very few people I know whose job embodies something that is such a big part of them. So kudos to you for doing what you love.
And I have to say, I love how music not only brings you back to certain moments, but seems to enhance the emotions that you feel all the time. I sometimes wish there was music in the background of our lives to make what happens more powerful in a way - but then I would be even more of a drama queen and that's a scary thought.
Thanks to all for your comments! Please keep them coming!
Hallie I just tagged you. Read my blog.
Post a Comment