Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Kids these days

I am the Activity Day leader in our ward, which means I spend two nights a month doing activities with the 8 to 12 year old girls. We had a game night last night which went really well we played bingo then moved on to a twister tournament, and then had about 20 minutes before we were done so the girls wanted to do a talent show(I love when they come up with their own ideas). Three of the girls started singing this rap song about dropping it "Low low low" and doing a dance too, then the next act was a dance/song called "Soldier Boy". We soon realized that there would have to be a few ground rules for this talent show! We announced no rap and moved on with the show. I was pretty stunned that all these young girls knew these songs word for word and had dance moves to go along with them. I guess I shouldn't have been so shocked, last activity I drove a few of the girls home and they told me my music sucked, and asked if I had any rap.

9 comments:

FRANK AND HEATHER MAILE said...

hey hallie it's heather maile...i found your blog from kara's. i think you'd make a great activity leader. isn't it sad what kids are doing these days and especially at such a young age. i had a real eye opener when i was in young womens for 2 years. my blog is: www.mailes.blogspot.com

Love ya ~ Heather

Jeremy said...

Damn kids.

That's why we will indoctrinate our kids with good music and only let them listen to rap when they are old enough to appreciate it as a novelty, and more than anything, as humorous.

Jesse C said...

The big-time record execs have reached their target audience, even in conservative little Salt Lake. Their agenda: sell worthless, degrading crap to preteens. Mission accomplished.

kara said...

scary to know what our kids are going to have to deal with, let alone what we will have to deal with teaching them differently. I bet they love you as a leader. Hey we need to get together soon. Let me know when you guys are free to hang out.

Katy said...

It's kind of sad the world we live in. It's a good thing those girls have you as a good example.

... said...

as a music therapist...i am offended...constantly. Rap? C'mon. I taught a class last week to 100 high school kids. Upon asking them their thoughts on Neil Young...only 2 of then knew who Neil young was. Cmon....HEART OF GOLD. duh...and they call me lame for knowing all of the words to MY HUMPS.....but really....that generation gap is coming up on us. Hallie....Jeremy....we are getting old. We are getting less cool...it hurts. And Hal....its not like you and I never got our grind on to some dirty music before...

Ode to Usher...

Love to Hallie

Hallie said...

Miss Mandy you are correct, I have gotten my grind on plenty of times to the rap we speak of. I do love me a good cheesy rap tune I'll admit it.

JaCee said...

i'm definately not one for fast or loud music, i never have been, so to see kids know more about something i've *never* known about blows me away

M said...

I can totally see you as the activity day leader. I bet those girls just love you - even if your music isn't "cool" enough.