So, I know It's almost mid-January already and a billion people have done their "Best of," lists for 2007, so I'm a bit behind on this, but I feel like giving it a go anyhow. However, instead of doing a numbered list, I think I'd prefer to do a list of honorable mentions in no particular order for both movies and music, so here it goes:
MUSIC:
David Bazan: Fewer Moving Parts
Bazan's solo work is just as clever and every bit as brilliant as his work with Pedro The Lion.
Two Gallants: self titled
These two boys from San Francisco know how to rock. Their blend of folk, indie, etc, is never unimpressive. Their other releases are equally as strong and I would highly recommend them.
The Weakerthans: Reunion Tour
A band that never disappoints, though their releases are often several years apart-and from the quality of their music, for good reason.
Thursday: Kill The House Lights
Thursday was one of the first and creators of the so-called "Screamo," bands, though that term only reflects negatively on what their music is about and their level of talent. This album is full of b-sides, demos and unreleased tracks, all impressive and important collectively to the rest of their discography. Also included is a DVD with a full-length documentary which is very well done and includes early, early house party show footage and other misc. live footage from different time periods of the band's existence.
Juno and Once: movie soundtracks:

Though this movie came out on Christmas day this year, the soundtrack was only available digitally in those last few weeks of '07, so I'll consider it. What an amazing soundtrack. Fantastic tracks from The Kinks, Kimya Dawson, Belle & Sebastian, Sonic Youth, The Velvet Underground and even Michael Cera and Ellen Page (in the movie-if you haven't seen it GO!) have a track on this amazingly well-fitting soundtrack.
As for the soundtrack for ONCE, Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova have assembled some of the best and original music in years. I would urge all to buy this soundtrack or to pick up The Swell Season by these two which contains many of the tracks featured on the soundtrack and a few others.
Dustin Kensrue: Please Come Home
Whew...almost forgot this one! Kensrue is widely known for his other band, Thrice. His solo work is a far cry from Thrice, so don't be confused on what this album is about. Please Come Home is full of beautiful folk and country acoustics that add a whole new dimension to Kensrue as a musician.
MOVIES:
Hot Fuzz:
I saw this prior to seeing the splendid, Shaun of the Dead, so I might be a bit skewed in my absolute love for this film. In my opinion, the writing is much more tight in Hot Fuzz, the humor much more subtle, smart and clever and the ridiculous violence only compliments the movie. I was blown away by the awesomeness of this movie.
The Wind That Shakes The Barley:
Cillian Murphy, who I think is a great actor to begin with, plays an Irish freedom fighter, and does a remarkable job, in this film portraying the Irish people's fight for civil freedoms from the British. A very well done movie, though some scenes are hard to watch because of the living hell these people went through in their struggles.
Dan In Real Life:
I was immediately drawn to this movie because of my love for Carell's work on the office and in other movies such as Little Miss Sunshine. This is a simple, but realistic comedy/drama and it is a pleasure to watch.
Lars and the Real Girl: 
I'll admit that I haven't seen this movie yet. So how and why would I include this on my list? Well, watch the preview and see for yourself, plus I have it from good sources that this movie does not disappoint, so therefore I prematurely deem it worthy of an honorable mention.
American Gangster:
Though it's full of language, nudity and violence, this movie, based on true events, refreshes the spirit and gives hope that there are people with integrity out there in an increasingly dishonest world.
Once:
I will give this movie a nod, though I must say, I got lost in the hype before I actually saw it and was slightly let down. Don't get me wrong, it is a raw, well-done movie with stellar acting from two real life street musicians. I would have to say though that the best thing that comes from this movie is the music that was inspired by it and vice versa.
Juno:
Where do I start with this movie? The acting, the writing, the music, this one really does have it all and a true-to-life storyline that doesn't glorify a bad situation, but deals with it in a mature and appropriate way. Go see it...please.
Monday, January 7, 2008
2007 Honorable Mentions
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Jeremy, you make me feel better about JUNO... We went with Bes and Jord and they got up and left because they thought it was inapropriate...I thought it was fine to stay or maybe I'm just immune?
Are you KIDDING? Inappropriate subject? Yes. Is it realistic? Yes. Was this modern-day, realistic situation handled well? Yes. Was it highly awesome and entertaining? YES.
Tell them to think about it in terms of what the church would have people do in that situation...they would suggest adoption and not condemning the mother OR father. Don't you think? It's too bad this kind of stuff happens, but at least the movie didn't glorify it and make it seem cool by ANY means, you know?
Thanks for the recommendations, there is some stuff on the list I'll have to check out.
I think the Juno debate is interesting. I'd like to add my two cents. I knew what the subject matter was going into the movie, so it really didn't take me by surprise. I thought it was handled quite well. Jeremy makes a good point, the movie is not about glamorizing premarital sex and teen pregnancy. It's about how people take responsibility for their actions, and do their best to turn a negative situation into a positive one. So much of what Teenagers are exposed to does glamorize premarital sex, it was refreshing to see something that focuses on the consequences of engaging in said acts.
Well said Jesse
Nice list Jeremy.
I especially liked Juno. It would definitely top my list of movies for the year, had I taken the effort to make said list. Hell, I saw it twice, once for myself, and once for Bes and Jord. (it should be noted that I don't know Bes and Jord, but I think I may have met Bes once. maybe) The Soundtrack rocked as well.
Sorry Jer, I haven't been at work since wed...and haven't had a chance to comment. You make a good point, and everyone I have talked to since then has said the same exact thing... Which concludes that I totally agree with you and that... I decided that I DO FEEL GOOD ABOUT THAT!! I don't feel like I'm going to hell anymore :)
Thanks Jeremy and Jesse for your input.. and by the way, sweet list jeremy...
Post a Comment