
After posting about how I am something of a "poet, a philosopher or an artist," a couple of you made mention of being interested in Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist, so I've decided to throw up a quick review and here we go...
Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist=High Fidelity+Can't Hardly Wait
I'll admit that initially I had some doubts as to how this movie might turn out, but then I realized I've never seen anything with Michael Cera in it that I haven't totally and completely loved, even down to his web series Clark and Michael, which I recommend checking out. It was with the reassurance of having never been let down in the past that I entered this viewing experience.
The opening scene did a splendid job of setting the tone for the entire, "playlist," of the movie. It was genius. Pure genius. The movie revolves around Cera's character and his pathetic infatuation with his cheating ex-girlfriend Tris (played by Alexis Dziena), Norah (played by Kat Dennings) who, when caught in a bind, asks Nick to pretend as if they are dating and Norah's drunk friend Caroline (played by Ari Graynor) who Cera and Dennings spend the entire night trying to locate after she is lost by Nick's friends who were supposed to take her home. Weird situations and sparks flutter between Nick and Norah and make each twist and turn as they trudge through the city entertaining.
This is no Oscar or Academy award-winning flick by any stretch of the imagination, but if you like the high school movie genre of movies-that is, the good ones ala, Can't Hardly Wait, Sixteen Candles, Dream a Little Dream, Some Kind of Wonderful, etc.-and musically-hip movies like High Fidelity or Empire Records, etc. then there's no way not to like this film.
Is the movie a little cliche? Has it been done before? Well, yes and sort of. But is it fun, enjoyable, easy to watch and enjoy the depth Cera and Dennings give to their characters? Yes, yes, yes and yes!
Tuesday, October 7, 2008
Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I agree with the assessment. I actually thought I would enjoy it more than I did, but it was still fun and engaging. There are some scandalous moral messages dispersed throughout, but I guess that can be expected from a high school movie.
(I think my calling with the youth makes me extra sensitive to underlying moral messages to teens)
Post a Comment