
Last night marked a first for both Hallie and I as we attended the first session of our natural child birthing class. As I walked in the room, I got an erie feeling that reminded me of walking into a college classroom on the first day of the semester. The class itself wasn't all that bad, lots of information, some interesting and a lot of no-brainer info, buy hey, it was only the first class.
By the end, we were on the floor listening to a recording of either the most calm human to ever live or some form of human-simulated cyborg voice tell us how to breath and relax. Looking past how absurd some of it sounded as we listened, it actually seemed to work for most. I, however, was having my own issues with fighting a disastrous diarrhea attack brought on by eating dinner in three minutes in order to make it to class on time. Excuse my honesty.
Intermittently throughout the class the severity of being in charge of a human's life hit me and hit hard. I've never understood the whole mid-life crisis frame of mind, but I think last night I had the surest glimpse yet of what a mid-life crisis feels like. Don't misunderstand, I'm excited to be a dad and have this new part of our life begin, but that doesn't mean it comes easy, at least not for me and I think not for most. On one hand, you're gaining something so great you can't really comprehend it-at least not yet-and on the other hand, you're losing part of yourself in order to gain this priceless addition. For those who know me, I've always been one to gather friends for totally awesome events, create a reason for hanging out-no matter what it was, do whatever I wanted whenever I wanted to do it. College taught me a lot about academia and gaining useful knowledge, but also that I could survive on three hours of sleep or less a night-until you pass out from exhaustion that is, which I did once. Basically, with the new responsibility of a baby, the part of me that yearns to chill whenever I have a free second will have to take a backseat to my family. Coming to terms with this is both easy at times, while life-altering hard at others. Thankfully, over the last two years I've done a lot of growing up (though Hallie may not agree due to my acting like a 13-year-old 90% of the time) and many things have happened to help me to do so, inevitably moving me closer to the frame of mind I need to be a good father and a better husband, but that doesn't mean it has come/will come easy. In the end, hopefully we can all embrace the life we have been blessed with and that we have created. So far I've learned that faith, hope and love make it easier...oh and some good music and a diet beverage of choice doesn't hurt either.
Wednesday, July 2, 2008
Breathe In...Breathe Out-Oh, And Don't Have A Nervous Breakdown.
Labels:
Baby Wilkins,
Thoughts/Thinking
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
Well, dude, things change. At least you haven't been going around asking people if it was worth getting your wife pregnant. I know someone who has done this. Things change. It's difficult, but growing up is easily as good as hanging out whenever you want. Having that little girl in your presence will teach you a lot of amazing things. I liked this post. If you're stressed, you should be. It's stressful. But I guarantee it doesn't have to be as stressful as people make it out to be. Then again, I am saying this to someone whose hands peel when he's too stressed. Sorry, I had to add that. Anyway, it will be different for a few months, but somehow you can keep hanging out. I've been amazed at how much hanging out Christine and I still do. I feel good the way we've done it. It also has helped Sam to not freak out around strangers, or when someone else wants to hold him. You will have help, that's for sure.
Wow...is Hallie going "natural" for her childbirth? Jeremy... I'm not worried...you guys will both make great parents! Now... the drama of raising a baby, that will be somthing I will look forward to watching :) I look forward to the entertainment of your baby stories.
gonna try! and yes us raising a little one will be quite a ride!
Good luck with the natural child birth. I gave up after they broke my water and I couldn't talk for fear that the pain was going to cause me to throw up. It was such a relief and enjoyment to get that epidural. But I honestly hope you are tougher than me.
Jeremy, love the honesty (a little humor) and the awesome responsibility you are about to face. Like your friend Snake says it is really amazing to have a child. You will love it and will adjust with time to your new lifestyle. Plus, soon all your friends will have kids too.
you will do great! the responsibility of being a parent just comes naturally. when you see your baby all that will matter to you is her and hallie. it is definatly stressful but also the best thing you will ever do!
Thanks for your honesty it's very refreshing and it was something I needed to hear today. That may sound strange but God works in mysterious ways am I right or what.
Anyway, Just today when Brady and I were driving home from Wales I was thinking about what our life would be like if we had waited to have Millie and ya, there are a few things I wish I would have done (like finish school), but really our life wouldn't be complete without her and if I could change things I wouldn't. Being her parent is amazing and the majority of time is spent admiring how brilliant she is. Watching her grow and learn is truly an honor and I promise you will feel the same way even if it means you don't get together quite as often as before, but here's the thing; YOU CAN. That being said, This little girl that is coming your way is going to blow your mind. The "you" that you are now will never be the same, but you won't miss him. You'll be a better man for having her in your life, just like you were the day you took Hallie as your wife. You're gonna love it and you're gonna rock.
Wow. Thanks for all the kind and encouraging words!
ok... Hallie you really are trying natural? you are a champ:) Good job! and really you will both be great parents!!!
Loved this post Jeremy. I'm right in the same boat as you, and I'm having a lot of the same feelings. I'm sure it will be really hard at times, but the rewards will outweigh the sacrifice.
You're daughter is going to be rad. . . especially when you teach her that the word up means down, and the word down means up, shirts means pants, pants mean shirts, etc. Haha!
Well, having a new little one is fun. I don't think I realized that kids didn't just pop out and sleep at night. that was a stinky realization for me. I survived though.
Hallie, good job wanting to have your baby natural! I have a rad friend in Logan that does home births (natural of course) and loves them! She had her first one and didn't know anything and was induced and did everything the doctor said, so she found she didn't have to do it the doctor's way, and loves it. Anyway, she has some interesting things to say, and I totally respect her. I'm thinking next time around I might try and figure out the natural thing. I just hope I'm not induced again because that really screwed things up. Okay, now I'm just rambling. GOOD LUCK GUYS!!
Post a Comment